Governments across Canada are responding to COVID-19 by using emergency laws, regulations, and orders. This page is a COVID-19 emergency law tracker for Canada.
This page will be updated regularly, but legislative developments are happening fast. Be sure to confirm legal updates directly with government institutions. For a list of resources specific to the construction industry, visit the list here.
If you notice anything missing from this Canada COVID-19 emergency law tracker, submit a resource on the contact page.
Federal COVID-19 Emergency Law Tracker
The Government of Canada has a running tracking list of legislation, charter statements, orders and regulations on its website.
The following legislation has been enacted:
- An Act to amend the Financial Administration Act (special warrant) (S.C. 2020, c.4)
- COVID-19 Emergency Response Act (S.C. 2020, c. 5)
The following charter statements have been enacted:
- Bill C-12: An Act to amend the Financial Administration Act (special warrant)
- Bill C-13: An Act respecting certain measures in response to COVID-19
The following orders have been enacted. An explanation of each order, its purpose, and whether it is still in effect can be found on the Government of Canada’s response to COVID-19:
- Order pursuant to Section 32.1 of the Railway Safety Act Due to COVID-19
- Interim Order to Prevent Certain Persons from Boarding Flights in Canada due to COVID-19
- Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 Coronavirus Disease in Canada Order (Prohibition of Entry into Canada from the United States)
- Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Prohibition of Entry into Canada from any country other than the United States)
- Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Mandatory Isolation)
- Interim Order to Prevent Certain Persons from Boarding Flights to Canada due to COVID-19, No. 3
- Regulations Maintaining the Safety of Persons in Ports and the Seaway
- Interim Order Respecting the Importation and Sale of Medical Devices for Use in Relation to COVID-19
- Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 Coronavirus Disease in Canada Order (Persons Not on Government Flight)
- Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 Coronavirus Disease in Canada Order
- Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to 2019-nCoV Acute Respiratory Disease in Canada Order
Provincial COVID-19 Emergency Law Tracker
Provinces across Canada have enacted emergency legislation, regulations, and mandatory orders in reaction to COVID-19.
Alberta (AB) Emergency Law Tracker
The Province of Alberta’s Ministerial Order under the Public Health Act declares a state of emergency and suspends a number of limitations periods.
British Columbia (BC) Emergency Law Tracker
British Columbia’s Limitation Periods (COVID-19) Order under the province’s Emergency Program Act, R.S.B.C. 1996, c. 111, s. 10, suspends limitations periods and mandatory time periods to commence litigation processes in BC.
Ontario (ON) COVID-19 Emergency Regulation Tracker
Ontario enacted emergency regulation 50/20 under its Emergency Management and Civil Protection Act to suspend certain limitations periods and close non-essential workplaces in the province.
Quebec (QC) Emergency Law Tracker
Quebec appears to have suspended its prescriptive and procedural limitation periods.
New Brunswick (NB) Mandatory Order
The Province of New Brunswick has issued a mandatory order affecting workplace and public area closures to respond to COVID-19.
Newfoundland and Labrador (NL) Emergency Legislation
The Province of Newfoundland has passed legislation to temporarily vary statutory timelines and deadlines.